Tuesday 22 March 2011

Jobs

You know its funny. I have never had any trouble getting a job. I have always just walked into them. I started selling newspapers from a trailer on Sunday mornings at 16 because my friend invited me along to keep him company, then I just kinda stayed. I started to do Saturdays at the bike shop when I was 16 because I was always there getting my bike fixed anyway, so I may as be working. I’m not entirely sure how it started. I think I said half-heartedly “got any jobs going..?” and the manager just said “be here by 9 on Saturday, we will see how it goes...”

I stayed at the bike shop for almost 8 years. After 7 years there I did a training course to allow me to teach children and adults how to cycle safely on the road. While there the people running the course asked me to come and work for them. I decided to go down to weekends at the bike shop and started teaching during the week.
Then last winter the teaching was really slow, and there were no extra hours at the bike shop, and I was sat in the pub. I overheard a conversation between the landlord and one of the members of staff about them being a bit useless. To be honest most of the pub probably heard it. I knew the landlord already at that point. When he came over to the bar looking harassed I said “looks like you could use some dependable staff...” He simply said “you offering..?” and I was in.

I am sorry to the people out there who have always had to fight for work, or the people who go through countless interviews, toting their CVs around. But I have never done this. I wrote my first ever CV this week. Well, apart from the practice ones you do in school. And I have never been interviewed in my life. All of which is a little strange I am sure. I guess the thing is that you have all had a particular career in mind and that was what you wanted and what you went after. Where I have never known what it is I want to do. So the whole thing was to just have a job. And it always helps when you know people. Which is something I hate to admit because it means that all my old teachers were right, its not what you know, its who you know in this game.

This all makes me sound like “Mr Blokewithlotsofmateswhodoesntcarewhathedoeswithhislife”. Which isn’t true. I don’t have lots of mates, and I do CARE what I do with my life. I don’t have lots of mates because I don’t really like many people very much. Its sounds callus but most people are idiots who get on my nerves. They really are. And I would be happy for them to go away. Some people I like and those I can sit and talk to for hours if not days. They are the few. And I do care what I do with my life. I wouldn’t for example, be happy to be “Manonthedoleinreeboks” or “Manstuckinagoodjobwhichiskillinghim” or many other things. The things I have done with my life so far may not have had the best prospects for career advancement, nor the best pay, or most fantastic bonuses or benefits, but they also haven’t been the jobs that would make me feel like I hate myself either. They have just been jobs that were there at the right time and weren’t too terrible.

It may strike some of you as odd to find someone who hasn’t the faintest idea of what they want from life, but I am regularly assured that it is a common thing. For the most part I want to ride my bike. Now anyway. Later who knows? I know I have talked about adventure and about wanting a family on here, and I do want those things. But career..? That’s an awful lot to think about. Adventure and family are things that I just know that I want, and I can’t really explain, but a career surely needs thought. And planning if it’s something much more complicated than street sweeper or homeless man.

Oh, there is one thing I know I want to do when I am older. Cultivate a most majestic beard.

No comments:

Post a Comment